Friday, August 13, 2010

All alone for race day...

In the end you race by yourself in Tri, but it rarely feels that way with the crowds, training partners and others there.  But for various reasons, such and injury and having other responsibilities, I'm going all alone to the Luray race this weekend.  I am someone who never goes to movies or goes on vacation or anything else alone, so I am embracing it as "a good thing".

I looked back at my early goals for this Tri, and I only followed through on #3, getting a bike.  That is the part I am excited/curious about.  Otherwise, I am feeling pretty nervous about the condition my body is in.  I spent 10 days very recently scuba diving and getting sun burned, and my body hasn't really recovered.  I went for a run yesterday morning and felt really lousy, and that came after a tough open water swim in salt water (current and waves) in the Cayman Islands.  All and all not a great way to build up confidence, but I have to trust the taper and also know that doing some crazy "make-up" workout is NOT going to help anything.  Just making sure to eat and rest right, and get down there in plenty of time to be relaxed is going to be key.

I am pretty distracted at this point by the race, and nervous as much as I know that the swim is shorter and I should be a stronger and faster swimmer than last time.  My more modest goals for this race, use sigting and more even form to swim straighter, keep heart rate steady (no peaks) on the bike while maintaining speed, run more forward on my feet and don't hit the wall!

I know that doing better at all three legs is unlikely, I will just have to hope for the best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment